The History Of Thanksgiving In America – By David Barton (Christian Historian)
The tradition of Thanksgiving as a time To Focus On God And His Blessings dates back almost 4 Centuries (400 Years) in America. While such celebrations occurred at Cape Henry, Virginia, as early as 1607, it is from the Pilgrims that we derive the current tradition of Thanksgiving.
The Pilgrims left England on Sept. 6, 1620, and for 2 months braved the harsh elements of a storm-tossed sea. After disembarking at Plymouth Rock, They Had A Prayer Service and began building hasty shelters. but unprepared for a harsh New England winter, nearly half died before spring.
Yet persevering in prayer and assisted by helpful Indians, they reaped a bountiful harvest the following summer. The grateful Pilgrims then declared a three-day fast in December, 1621, To Thank God and to celebrate with their Indian friends — America’s first Thanksgiving Festival. This began an annual tradition in the New England colonies that slowly spread into other colonies.
As you celebrate the Thanksgiving holiday this year, Remember To Retain The Original Gratefulness To God that has always been the spirit of this, the oldest of all American holidays.
Some people believe America has strayed from the religious convictions of her early fathers. Perhaps it is true. But the real question is not “where is our country’s faith?” but “where do you stand?” on the issue of acknowledging God in your life. For what — and to Whom — are you grateful?
* Have You Forgotten “The Source From Which Your Blessings Have Come?”
* Have You Acknowledged “The Providence Of Almighty God” In Your Life?
* Have You Ever “Prayed To God Through The Merits Of Jesus Christ To Forgive Your Sins?”
* Believing in God is one thing. But you must also take the next step – You Must Come To KNOW Him.
* You Can Make This Thanksgiving A Very Special One — By Thanking The God Of Your Forefathers For ALL HE Has Done For You And For America.